XPS, AFM and STM in cell biology

Peter Wilkie wilkie at fizzy.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Sep 6 00:18:23 EST 1999

Hi all,
I am a physicist working in the surface science group at  Murdoch
University in Western Australia. Mainly in X-ray Photoelectron
Spectroscopy, (XPS) and Scanning Tunneling Microscopy (STM), as well as
Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM).

Due to lack of research funds we are trying to set up a commercial
surface analysis service, to raise money to do research! In Australia,
most University research is government funded, but funds are begin cut
back. Unfortunately, the private sector here is not picking up the
slack.

I am trying to find out what types of problems that our techniques may
be useful for in a broad range of fields. STM has been used by some
researchers to look at individual protein molecules on cell membranes,
actually image them. If anyone has any suggestions
for applications of these techniques in biology, I
would really appreciate that sort of information.

Thanks