dna size

AKB abansal at concentric.net
Tue Sep 21 08:48:10 EST 1999

well, let us assume this is a basic generic intracellular protein with
nothing attached (a naked polypeptide).  Before, I posted my question, I
thought of using Richard's method but then I thought:
1) why should I use the average aa weight - do most proteins have a somewhat
even distribution of light and heavy aa?
2) what if this protein were made of nothing but gly (besides the beginning
met).  That could change the calculation
3)what if the protein were made of nothing but a heavy aa like trp?  I used
this method because since I want the *minimum* dna size, then why not assume
it is some weird protein with massive aa.
However, I am not sure if this is the correct approach to take.  Should I
use method #1 (Richard's) or #3?

CSC <un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de> wrote in message
news:Pine.GSO.4.05.9909211444420.16712-100000 at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.
de...