dna size

Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Tue Sep 21 09:55:42 EST 1999

In article
<Pine.GSO.4.05.9909211444420.16712-100000 at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de>,
CSC <un691cs at genius.embnet.dkfz-heidelberg.de> wrote:

>That depends a little. How did you determine the molecular weight ? By gel
>and with a standard next to it ? If so, this kind of estimate may be
>tricky. For instance His rich proteins migrate much slower than other
>proteins. And if the protein is glycosylated or has some other groups
>attached...

OK, I 'fess - it's a trick I learned years ago that serves me reasonably
well.  Close enough for an intelligent guess at how long the PCR product
should be.

You could add together the molecular masses of the natural amino acids and
divide by 20, and if you wanted to be really clever you could weight
according their occurrence in naturo.

If you want to do it properly, you do a complete amino acid analysis, get
the relative proportions, and weight like that.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
work: www.cmtech.co.uk        |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
  -- It's stupid to leave just because the party's getting tough --