dna size

Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Tue Sep 21 10:01:07 EST 1999

In article <7s82aq$nuq at journal.concentric.net>, "AKB"
<abansal at concentric.net> wrote:

>1) why should I use the average aa weight - do most proteins have a somewhat
>even distribution of light and heavy aa?

Becuase it's an AVERAGE :_)

>2) what if this protein were made of nothing but gly (besides the beginning
>met).  That could change the calculation

Yah, and it'd never fold . . . and if it did, it sure as heck wouldn't be
soluble.

>3)what if the protein were made of nothing but a heavy aa like trp?  I used

ditto.

>this method because since I want the *minimum* dna size, then why not assume
>it is some weird protein with massive aa.
>However, I am not sure if this is the correct approach to take.  Should I
>use method #1 (Richard's) or #3?

To be honest, it depends what you want.  You could always assume that
they're all huge, and then that they're all tiny, and get a range.

Why are you doing this?

*** .sig removed for cleaning.  We apologize for any inconvenience ***