CHO Cells

Bernard Murray spam at 127.0.0.1
Wed Sep 22 02:21:27 EST 1999

In article <2.2.32.19990919232808.01375584 at 263.net>, chenlinan at 263.NET
(Chen Linan) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there anyone to tell me what is the difference between following types of
> CHO cells? And Can I transfect them with PBK/RSV(with SV40 region)?
> Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) Cells Ltk-, CHO (DHFR-)
> Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) Cells
> Chinese Hamster Ovary Fibroblasts (CHO)
> Chinese Hamster Ovary(CHO) cells K1
> Thanks,
> ChenLinan

The "CHO" cell line is a fibroblast line established from the ovary
of chinese hamsters.  There is a wide variety of sublines with
different properties that have been established.  CHO K1 is a subline
in very common use.

DHFR- lacks the dihydrofolate reductase gene which means you
can eg. select for the presence of vectors that complement this
loss.

I assume that LTK- is a typographic error as L cells are a cell line
from mice.  The TK- indicates that it lacks thymidylate kinase
which, again, allows for selection using vectors that complement
this loss.  There are CHO TK- variants out there.

Stratagene's pBK-RSV vector does not have the SV40 promoter
but the RSV promoter.  Yes, you can transfect any of the CHO
cell lines you have listed with this vector and then, if needed,
select transformants using G418.

   Good luck,
      Bernard

--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD
Department of Cellular & Molecular Pharmacology, UCSF