Where Cell Differentiation Start?

Colorado Bryan brycaNObrSPAM at hotmail.com.invalid
Mon Apr 3 11:08:40 EST 2000

Can someone point me to an explanation of what's different about
two cells that have just split from one, such that they are
headed in different functional directions?  We are trying to
answer this question at a High School level of understanding.
We find information describing that differentiation happens, but
not a straightforward explanation of how two cells can be left
with different characteristics even though they have just split
from a single cell.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bryan C.