Where Cell Differentiation Starts?

Richard Gordon gordonr at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Mon Apr 3 11:27:51 EST 2000

Dear Bryan,
That question hasn't been properly answered for over 100 years, which
is why you won't find a succinct answer in any textbook. I've come up
with a possible solution: cells in different parts of a tissue
experience different "differentiation waves" (expansion or
contraction). They have two sets of genes ready to go, in response to
the kind of wave they participate in. These waves are easily
observable (see url below).
Best, -Dick Gordon

>Can someone point me to an explanation of what's different about
>two cells that have just split from one, such that they are
>headed in different functional directions?  We are trying to
>answer this question at a High School level of understanding.
>We find information describing that differentiation happens, but
>not a straightforward explanation of how two cells can be left
>with different characteristics even though they have just split
>from a single cell.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

Bryan C.

Dr. Richard Gordon, Radiology, U. Manitoba, HSC Rm. GA246, 820
Sherbrook St., Winnipeg R3A 1R9 Canada, phone:(204)789-3828,
fax:(204)787-2080/New: The Hierarchical Genome & Differentiation
Waves: Novel Unification of Development, Genetics & Evolution:
http://www.wspc.com.sg/books/lifesci/2755.html, New e-mail:
GordonR at ms.UManitoba.ca (Adjunct: Electrical & Computer Engineering),
Exec Member: CSTB, CARRF, IEEE-EMBS.
---