Science story on lab mice

dmalakoff at dmalakoff at
Thu Feb 10 17:08:24 EST 2000

I'm a reporter for Science doing a story on the "mouse economy" -- the
boom in the use and production of laboratory mice.

I'm interested in hearing from researchers who use mice about how they
get their mice. In particular, I'm interested in how researchers who
order from Jax or from commercial suppliers (Charles River, Taconic,
Harlan, etc.) decide who to use. Is it price, service, quality,
something else?

Any comments, anecdotes, etc. welcome, on any aspect of using and
buying laboratory mice.

David Malakoff
Reporter, Science
dmalakoff at