cytotoxic agents

Alex Kerin akerin at mit.edu
Thu Feb 17 10:20:11 EST 2000

Hi,

I am conducting some research on articular cartilage tissue explants. I
need to kill the chondrocytes, or at least stop them producing matrix
macromolecules,  without affecting the mechanical properties of the
tissue. I would prefer not to use freeze-thaw cycles as I am unconvinced
that properties will not change (although if nothing else is suggested,
I will have to do before and after freeze-thaw controls). It has been
suggested that I use Sodium Azide, but I have found no information on
concentration/incubation time to acheive cell death. If anyone has any
suggestions that would be great.

Regards, Alex Kerin
--

Center for Biomedical Engineering