What you need to do about moderation

Richard P. Grant rgrant at netscape.net
Thu Jan 13 08:25:48 EST 2000

In article <85jq6s$olm$1 at bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>, "Stephen Dahl"
<stayve-and-irayne at worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>  Given
> that most newsgroups have a charter or FAQ that spells out what is and
> isn't
> appropriate for the group this is not always a major issue.  However, I
> would add that one non-science newsgroup I belong to, despite a month or
> two
> of a rather disturbing altercation between a handful of members, rejected
> the idea of moderation for fear of big brother.

I think that fear is more of a problem in non-science groups, as we are
in the business of ideas here, and it's fairly obvious what's on/off
topic (as you point out).

'Big Brother' should not be a fear here - if we start censoring stuff in
science then we may as well pack up and go home now!

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil
Structural Studies Group, MRC-LMB
http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/personal/rpg/index.html
Please reply to rpg 'at' mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk