HEK293 culturing

Jordi Perez Tur jpereztur at ibv.csic.es
Tue Jan 18 12:10:50 EST 2000

Thanks a lot for your help Anna,

> All that aside, it still might be possible to grow HEK293s without
> serum.  What method have you tried for adapting the cells to the
> serum-free conditions?  Have you tried any of the serum-substitutes
> which are available (both Gibco and Sigma make several differnt kinds)?

We are trying to avoid, as much as we could, the use of any supplement
(clearly misguided by ATCC's claims that the cells could grow without
serum nor supplements...) because that way the purification of the
protein (for which there is no antibody available) would be easier (we
would monitor that the protein we have is really the one we want by
sequencing).  It seems to me that this would not be the case, thus I
think we will rethink the strategy.

Thanks a lot, again, for helping us to avoid one of those dark holes....

	Jordi