What does HeLa stands for?

Veronique sunshyne at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 10:18:39 EST 2000

> >Could you please tell me if HeLa are epithelial cells?
>
> They're epithelial in origin, as a cervical carcinoma.  However, they're
> notoriously unstable genetically, and my feeling is that after 50 years in
> culture it would be unwise to consider them as models of any particular
> cell type.
>
> Ian

I've seen a picture published in an article of .. I don't know where.
Somebody with the means of probe coloring every different chromosome has
probed the chromosome of an HeLa cell during cell division. I believe there
isn't one chromosome left intact in this cell! There are few deletions, but
a lot of partial trisomy and a lot of translocations!

This is definitely not the closest genome to what's in a living human being
(besides their cancer..)..

Veronique