What does HeLa stands for?

Veronique sunshyne at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 10:20:59 EST 2000

> I have another question about HeLa. Do you know the approximate size
> (diameter) of these cells? Do you  think that they are larger or smaller
> than HEK293 or Cos or NIH3T3 cells?
>
> Teck

I've looked at both HeLa and Cos cells under the same microscope. They are
the same size. Most humans cells are the same size, but they definitely grow
differently.

HeLa is hard to kill and will happily spread on the plate without detaching
too much. Others will detach before reaching 70% confluence on a plate!!!
This is not the case with HeLa that just ends up making multiple layers.