What does HeLa stands for?

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Sun Jan 30 09:28:32 EST 2000

In article <5mPk4.466$A5.33608 at news1.usit.net>, "Ingersoll's"
<spotie at usit.net> wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I have a source from my cellular et molecular textbook that states "HeLa
> cells were named after the donor...Henrietta Lacks.

I may be TOTALLY wrong here but I think this is the real name. I beleive
the lady didn't die but lived to a ripe old age. Because she was still
alive and her name should have remailed confidential there were verious
names along the same theme banded about to cover the tracks. EG Helen Lane
etc.

Probably wrong but my 2p worth. Or 2cents if in USA :-)

cheers
bob

--
Robert Hartley,
Centre for Cell Engineering,University of Glasgow,UK.