cell growth

Frank O. Fackelmayer Frank.Fackelmayer at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Jul 7 10:35:42 EST 2000

taro wrote:

> Well I am now counting cell which is made from head and neck tumor (squamous
> cell carcinoma). I usually trypsinize them (because it is adherent cell) and
> mix with PBS then count cell number per ml using hemocytometer. then seed
> them at certain cell number like 1*10 to 4. every tow days, I count cells in
> a same manner. I use falcon 26 well plate to make a 3 sets of cells to count
> them on the same day, however I get sometimes different cell number from the
> same set. maybe this is because cell gets clumped? Is this inevitable?

Hi Taro, I don´t know your budget, but if your research relies on the
exact determination of cell number, there is no way around buying a cell
counter. We have a Coulter Z2 cell counter (no affiliation!), and it
works like a charm, giving very exact cell numbers that are really
reproducible from one experiment to the next. It also gives you a size
distribution curve that clearly shows if there are clumped cells.
So, if you can afford it, buy one (approximately 12.000$). Or, ask
around in your department if anyone has such a machine.

Frank