Alexa Fluor fluorophores

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at
Tue Jul 18 17:30:54 EST 2000

I was going to order some more fluorescent reagents for IF
microscopy, and I noticed that Molecular Probes has a new set of
reagents and I wondered if anyone else has tried them. In the
I've used fluorescein and Texas Red, but now they are
Alexa Fluor 488 instead of fluorescein. It has similar absorbance
and emission characteristics, but they claim it is much more
stable to photobleaching and doesn't have as big as a pH quench.
also noticed that their Alexa Fluor 594 looks similar to Texas
as well.

As I am hesitant to try out something new without a
recommendation, I thought I'd ask if anyone has used these
reagents  and if they liked them.

Also, FWIW, my filter sets are as follows:
green: excites at 450-490 nm., emmision at 515 nm  long pass
red: excites at 540-580 nm, emmision at 600-660 nm
uv: excites at 349-380 nm. emmision at 435-485 nm.

Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis at
(I have no control over any advertisements below the dotted line.)

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at
Up to 100 minutes free!