Phase contrast microscopy of living cells

Chris LaRosa clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu
Tue Jun 13 10:31:23 EST 2000

Robert Hartley wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I have a colleague who wishes to analyse living cells through an opaque
> material.
> He is looking for something to enhace visualisation of the live cells
> while vidoeing.

I have no idea if this will work for animal cells, however, I used to
stain plant cells with neutral red to observe plasmolysis. Cyclosis
continued for hours.  It greatly improves contrast without kill the
cells quickly.  Of course nomarki optics is another option if one is
available.

Another new fangled way to visualize living cells that is quite the rage
is to use gfp labelled cells and fluorescence optics.