Phase contrast microscopy of living cells

Nick Theodorakis nicholas_theodorakis at
Tue Jun 13 13:13:46 EST 2000

In article <rh-1306001707070001 at>,
rh at (Robert Hartley) wrote:
>In article <394653CB.FC77D3C6 at>, Chris LaRosa
><clarosa at> wrote:
>> Robert Hartley wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello all.
>> >
>> > I have a colleague who wishes to analyse living cells
through an opaque
>> > material.
>> > He is looking for something to enhace visualisation of the
live cells
>> > while vidoeing.
>> >
>> I have no idea if this will work for animal cells, however, I
used to
>> stain plant cells with neutral red to observe plasmolysis.
>> continued for hours.  It greatly improves contrast without
kill the
>> cells quickly.  Of course nomarki optics is another option if
one is
>> available.
>> Another new fangled way to visualize living cells that is
quite the rage
>> is to use gfp labelled cells and fluorescence optics.
>Ahh come to think of it we have a few microscopes that might be
able to do this.
>An IRM M17, confocal, polarising, and half a dozen others.
>I should really have got more details of him.

A lot of cell motility people seem to use DIC imaging for video

Nick Theodorakis

nicholas_theodorakis at
* Sent from RemarQ The Internet's Discussion Network *