test cell cultures for absence of mycoplasma

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Sun Mar 26 15:33:01 EST 2000

In article <38DE22F9.D89A53C9 at t-online.de>, Anja Vaeth
<AnjaVaeth at t-online.de> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Can anybody help me or give me an advice?
> I' m looking for a well established method to test stock cultures for
> absence of mycoplasma.
> I will be grateful for any suggestion.
You could use mycoplasma specific primers and use PCR.
Or cheaply but not as definate you could stain with propidium iodide and
say hoescht or EthBr and analyse under a fluorescence microscope. the
Micoplasma will be the peripheral dots. Or better still do both.

Cheers
Bob

--
Robert Hartley,
Centre for Cell Engineering,University of Glasgow,UK.