cut grass smell?

Rcjohnsen rcjohnsen at aol.com
Thu May 18 18:53:44 EST 2000

<< Subject: Re: cut grass smell?
From: Chris LaRosa clarosa at biocomp.unl.edu
Date: Wed, May 17, 2000 9:53 PM

George Rutherford wrote:

> In article <rh-1505001524510001 at a6-curtis.ibls.gla.ac.uk>,
> rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk (Robert Hartley) wrote:
>
> > Hello all.
> > The gardeners are outside cutting the grass. What gives freshly cut grass
> > it's distinctive smell?
> >

> Turpenes. I believe they are somewhat carcinogenic.

Everything produced by plants is carcinogenic.. Try holding your breath
will mowing the lawn.

That's true by all means-but it will build up your endurance-Besides think of
the terrible fumes by the gas mower or the power company that produces the
electricity to power electric mowes.  Get out the horses and the hay mower.
Don't eat the plants either or the animals that ate them.  And don't drink the
water---all those herbicides, pesticides found in fertilizer and such in the
water table.  Crawl in a hole and pull it in after you.  We who are about to
die, salute you.
Roger