How Scientists Cheat!

John Hewitt john.hewitt1 at vigrin.net
Tue Nov 14 15:25:07 EST 2000

Dear Rogier,

It is actually only the 1979 paper that is relevant to this topic - the
other two are papers were on slightly different. I actually think they were
somewhat better.

I did consider including the text of the '79 paper in my site but I decided
not to.  The main
reason is the amount of maths it contains. I find that people are either put
off by the maths. or start overinterpreting its details.  I originally wrote
it
as a letter to the editor without any maths at all but a referee more of
less
insisted on the analysis. That expanded the letter into a paper but
it has little quantitative merit because of uncertainties that cannot be
removed.

I still feel the whole mechanism is better seen as a qualitative proposal
and when I wrote chapter 7, I stayed with those feelings.  Most people
recognise surf-riding as a familiar phenomenon, so much so that, at the
qualitative level, people do
not need a detailed explanation.  I refer to the original paper, of course,
but its text is not included because of this experience.

Yours Sincerely

John Hewitt

news:8up8fc$5a8$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...