Who first identified the ribosome?

Richard Gordon gordonr at Ms.UManitoba.CA
Fri Nov 24 02:11:07 EST 2000

Dear Richard,
I did the first 3D reconstruction of ribosomes:

Bender, R., S. H. Bellman & R. Gordon (1970).  ART and the ribosome:
A preliminary report on the three-dimensional structure of individual
ribosomes determined by an Algebraic Reconstruction Technique.  J.
Theor. Biol. 29, 483-488.

This was subsequently turned into a fine art by:

Dr. Joachim Frank
Ultrastructure Laboratory, State of New York Department of Health
Wadsworth Center, POB 509, Empire State Plaza
Albany NY 12201-0509, USA
Phone: (518) 474-7002, Fax: (518) 486-2191
E-mail: joachim at wadsworth.org (Joachim Frank)

whose papers on the subject may be found by a search of PubMed
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Clipboard&DB=PubMed).
Best, -Dick Gordon

--

Dr. Richard Gordon, Radiology
University of Manitoba, HSC Rm. GA216, 820 Sherbrook St.
phone:(204)789-3828, fax:(204)787-2080, e-mail: GordonR at ms.umanitoba.ca
New book: The Hierarchical Genome & Differentiation Waves: Novel
Unification of Development, Genetics & Evolution:
http://www.wspc.com.sg/books/lifesci/2755.html
Adjunct: Electrical & Computer Engineering, Exec Member: CSTB, CARRF,
IEEE-EMBS.