immunoprecipitation and 2D gels

Alistair J Lax alistair.lax at kcl.ac.uk
Fri Oct 27 10:12:51 EST 2000

We are having problems visualising protein spots on 2D gels
after immunoprecipitation, and would appreciate any
suggestions. The protein is immunoprecipitated, and the
beads then added to the first dimension buffer (urea and
ampholites) and loaded onto the Biorad IEF cell. After the
second dimension, the SDS PAGE gel is silver stained. This
worked well for a couple of months, but all we get now are
some lower molecular weight contaminants. Beads loaded
straight onto SDS PAGE show the protein - either in blots
or with silver stain. The early stages of the prep have
protease inhibitors added, and we made all the solutions
again after this problem appeared. We have tried adding SDS
to the first dimension elution buffer without success. The
protein is there when we elute the protein from the beads
in SDS followed by removal of beads, that is it can be seen
by SDS PAGE, but not in 2D gels.

Alistair Lax

alistair.lax at kcl.ac.uk
King's College London