chemistry question

Justin Cobb jacobb at
Mon Sep 25 19:42:07 EST 2000

I looked in my biochemistry textbook, but I couldn't find anything really
specific on glycosylation reactions.  However, I'm guessing that the protein
may bind to the UDP constituent of UDP-glucose, phosphorylate UDP-glucose to
release glucose and produce UTP, and then the Arg residue probably binds the
glucose via N-glycosylation.  I'm not sure of this, but I think it might be
a start.  Also, since many glycosylated proteins bear oligosaccaride, this
may be a repeating chain reaction, but I do not have any idea how the
reaction would be terminated.

Again, this is just an educated guess so let me know if this helps,
preferable by email.

Justin Cobb
jacobb at
Junior, Biology-General
School of Life Sciences

"Ivan Delgado" <delgadoi at> wrote in message
news:B5F4FBD9.3095%delgadoi at

Dear All,

    Anybody has an idea what the chemistry of following reaction would be?:

The glycosylation of an Arginine amino acid with the glucose from

    I have a protein that can bind UDP-glucose and glycosylate itself at an
Arginine and I am trying to figure out how this can take place.

    Any ideas or a source of information regarding this question is

Ivan J. Delgado Orlic
Graduate Student
MSU-DOE-Plant Research Laboratory
Genetics Department
Michigan State University
178 Wilson Rd.
122 Plant Biology Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-1312
Email: delgadoi at
Phone: 517-353-3519
FAX: 517-353-9168

Francis Crick goes to heaven: "'God,' said the angel, 'This is Dr. Crick;
Dr. Crick, this is God.' 'I am so pleased to meet you,' says Francis. 'I
must ask you this question. How do imaginal disks work?'. "'Well,' comes the
reply, 'We took a little bit of this stuff and we added some things to it
and... actually, we don't know, but I can tell you that we've been building
flies up here for 200 million years and we have had no complaints.'"
-Dr. Sydney Brenner, NYT March 7, 2000