cell aggregation/spheroids

Per-Anders Olsson per-anders.olsson at minmail.net
Tue Sep 26 16:21:37 EST 2000

I have made a stable COS cell line overexpressing a novel type II
membrane protein which extends into the cytoplasm only, thus lacking an
extracellular portion. The cells grow slowly on uncoated surface and do
not really spread, they pile up and form islands of aggregates and
spheroids and subsequently die after 1-2 weeks. Has anyone seen this
behavior? What could be the explanation to the cell aggregation and how
can I extend cell survival? Any suggestions is appreciated.

                            Per-Anders Olsson
                            Dept of Neuroscience BMC
                            Uppsala Sweden