Just a stupid question

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 12:31:17 EST 2001

I found this definition in the Oxford English Dictionary if it helps,
Mike.

DICTYOSOME
One of the discrete bodies that constitute the Golgi apparatus in some
cells, esp. in plants.

  1893 J. E. S. MOORE in Q. Jrnl. Microsc. Sci. XXXV. 263 At this period
of the metamorphosis..a number of most remarkable bodies make their
appearance..connected one to
another and to the inner group of chromosomes by fine strands, which
remain uncoloured by reagents; and, as their relation to these fine
threads suggests the nodal points in a net,
I have termed them dictyosomes. 1924 L. DONCASTER Introd. Study Cytol.
(ed. 2) ii. 25 In some cells the Golgi elements may take the form of
granules (dictyosomes) which
are recognisable by their staining reactions, and which multiply by
division like the mitochondrial bodies. 1925 [see GOLGI n. d]. 1969 R. F.
CHAPMAN Insects xv. 278 After the
second meiotic division the dictyosomes..fuse to a single body. 1984
HOLTZMAN & NOVIKOFF Cells & Organelles (ed. 3) II. v. 154 In many cells of
higher plants, and in a very
few animal cells, the Golgi apparatus appears to consist of many
unconnected units, called dictyosomes.