Problems with Manuscript!

Benno ter Kuile b.terkuile at chem.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Mar 5 09:30:22 EST 2001

	Dear Martin,

				 I am not so sure that the undiscovering was not
deliberate. Editors are known to make this kind of "mistakes" when
they suspect personality problems. Unless you can "prove" that
this reviewer was unlikely to be objective, I think the best course of
action is to completely ignore the fact you know his identity.

	As in all dealings with manuscripts, the best tone as
busisnesslike as possible. Ignore any potential personal issues,
but respond precisely to the comments. Start by saying you
appreciate the constructive comments of the second reviewer, but
that those of the first "confuse" you. "Confuse" is the generally
accepted buzzword. Then explain item by item what you think.
Statements like "we rewrote this paragraph, but may be not
exactly as the reviewer intended" are very effective as well. As
someone who often publishes unusual papers I have build up a
large repertoire of such responses. When editors realise you take
them seriously and that you aim at getting a good paper out, rather
than doing anything to see your name in print, they give you some
slack.

Hope this helps,

Benno

Benno ter Kuile
Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Gorlaeus Laboratories.
Leiden University;Einsteinweg 55 / P.O. Box 9502 2300RA, Leiden, The Netherlands.
Phone:        +31 71 5275272    TeleFax:      +31 71 5274537

---