Cancer cell culture hazard

Timo Korjamo tkorjamo at hytti.uku.fi
Tue Sep 25 08:22:32 EST 2001

I am starting to work with human colon cancer cell line Caco-2 as a part
of my MSc-thesis. And I am a little curious on its hypothetical hazards.

The cell line is supposed to belog to biosafety level 1 (ATCC) and
thus there should be no hazards towards health. I have understanded that
biosafety levels are more valid with microorganisms.

I have tried to find some more detailed information on the safety issues.
All the books I have encountered (that is those that I could find in our
libraries) speak about microbial risks. Does someone have an opinion how
big a risk cultured human cancer cell line
actually posess? Is it hypothetically possible to obtain cancer without an
intraperitoneal injection? What if I trip over and spill the culture over
me?

There are of course defence mechanisms against foreign cells in human
body. Are these sufficient to prevent cell line tumors from propagating?

** Timo Korjamo          **
** KUOPIO		 **	University of Kuopio
** FINLAND		 **	Institute of Applied Biotechnology
** tkorjamo at hytti.uku.fi **