Looking for diagrams of human evolution

Steven J. steven_j at altavista.com
Mon Aug 12 23:51:04 EST 2002

"Robert" <judaismfaqs at yahoo.com.spammenot> wrote in message news:<z_P59.8666$Ke2.742268 at bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Could anyone point me to some diagrams or graphics online which show the
> following:
>
> (A) A representation of how gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutangs, etc. and
> humans are related in evolutionary terms. This may also show info from (B)
> below.

I don't think views on this part have changed substantially in the
last 20 years.  A typical chart is at:
<http://www.uvm.edu/~jdecher/Hominphyl.GIF>.

> (B) A representation of how the various ancestors of modern humans evolved,
> which branches led to us, and also happens to show a few of the other
> no-longer-existing branches. A graph of this may include info on (A) above.

This is way more complicated; different experts differ on the
cladograms, and even more on the trees constructed from them.

> Ideally I am looking for diagrams made in the last few years, so that they
> have been constructed using the latest information (DNA analysis,
> cladograms, etc.)
>
> I already have the wonderful 1993 edition of "The Book of Life" edited by
> Stephen Jay Gould, however this edition is a bit out of date. (Does anyone
> know if the second 2001 edition has changed any of the books graphs?)

I have the 2001 edition, but not the 1993 edition.  Gould wrote, in
the introduction to the later volume, that he had corrected outright
errors, but added no new information.  I would assume that the charts
are not significantly changed.

> Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
>
> Robert

-- Steven J.