Primary human myoblast culture

Alexandre Blais methyllysine at NOSPAMhotmail.com
Wed Jan 22 11:50:33 EST 2003

Hi, fellows,

I am interested in studying myogenic differentiation, and am looking for
the best human cellular model.

Unfortunately, there is no established normal human myoblast cell line (as
opposed to the mouse e.g. c2c12 cells). The ATCC only distributes
rhabomyosarcoma cell lines, or mixed primary cultures containing muscle
cells, and neither is acceptable.

I looked into obtaining clinical samples from surgical orthopaedy to set up
my own primary cultures, but because of institutional policies/limitations,
this is not feasible in the short term.

I found that Clonetics distribute primary human myoblasts, but they are
very expensive (around 550 US$ for 0.5x10^6 cells), and their lifespan is
somewhat limited (only 10 doublings). Since I will need LOTS of cells, this
will only be my backup alternative.

Do you know of any other source (commercial or other) for primary human
myoblasts (or satellite cells, as they are also called) ?

Thanks for any help,

Alex
(Remove NOSPAM to reply)