Cellular Development

Thomas Fischer tfischer at mad.scientist.com
Sun Mar 9 23:05:01 EST 2003

Dear all,

I have an urgent (lay-man's) question regarding cellular development
and I would appreciate your answers and thoughts:

I read that during development, cells derive a 'sense of development'
either by temporal or by spatial means and that this tells the cell
what to do. I understand that the cell looks up various types of
information for this purpose such as (de)activated DNA sequences,
messenger substances, presence of particular neighbours etc.

My question now: Are there known examples where a cell looks up its
extisting expresion (differentiated form/function/appearance) to
'remember' where/when it is and what to do next? I would like to know
(and possibly understand) those examples.

Or is my question maybe put in a wrong way?

Thanks a lot for answers in advance,
Thomas