Cross-contamination of cell cultures?

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Wed Apr 28 08:42:34 EST 2004

In article <8af8ecf.0404280538.387cbdc7 at posting.google.com>,
Peter Frank <peter_frankde at yahoo.de> wrote:

>Is there any way to confirm my assumption? Is there any way to get rid
>of the cross-contamination?

Cross-contamination of cell lines is relatively common and has been the
cause of some embarassing retractions.  It's hard for me to picture how it
happens, but it certainly can happen.

To confirm your assumption you'd want to check out how the cell lines are
different.  Is one from male, one from female? Check the Y chromosome
content in each cell type.  Is one aneuploid?  Do they have different
surface markers?

To get rid of the cross-contamination, probably the easiest thing is
limiting dilution subcloning.

Ian