Intracellular concentration of Na,K,Mg etc???

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 08:14:34 EST 2004

SDF wrote:

> Can someone point me to a resource that lists the typical
> intracellular concentrations (in Eukaryotes)
> of the major ions?
> Like Na, K, Mg etc?

According to Rauen, Biochemisches Taschenbuch, Berlin (Springer) 1964
the following concentrations are present
                        Serum    Erythrocyt    Liquor
Hämoglobin               --           330                  mg/ml
Gesamtprotein             70          350                  mg/ml
Gesamtfette                5.3          6.0                mg/ml
Neutralfette               2.5          1.0                mg/ml
Phosphatide                1.6          3.5                mg/ml
Cholesterol                0.45                            mg/ml
Glucose                    5.6          4.2                mM
Na                       139           17.4       139      mM
K                          4.6         94.6         3.6    mM
Ca                         2.5          0.5         1.2    mM
Mg                         0.9          2.6         0.8    mM
Fe                         0.018       18.0                mM
Cu                        16                               ľM
Zn                        46                               ľM
Co                         0.12                            ľM
Mn                         0.91                            ľM
Cl                       102           76.2                mM
Pi                         0.36         0.42        0.16   mM
HCO3                      37.0                             mM
SO4                        0.28                            mM
I                          0.4                             ľM

> Please EMAIL me, as I don't read this group much!

Then you should not post a question here.