non-programmed cell death in eukaryotic plants & prokaryotes

artyw artyw2 at
Sun Feb 1 12:14:48 EST 2004

"Robert Goodman" <robgood at> wrote in message news:<bvemb8$s46no$1 at>...
> I want to teach my Plants & People students about a fundamental fact of
> life: death.  A cell can reach a point of no return in sickness such that it
> must die, death being a permanent condition.  In necrotic cell death in
> eucaryotic animal cells, there's an unarguably irreversible step -- rupture
> of
> lysosomes.
> However, most plant cells don't have an organelle called a lysosome.  One
> source tells me they have organelles that do the same in necrosis, it's just
> that they're not CALLED lysosomes.  That true?  If not, is necrosis in
> plants akin to the death of procaryotes?
(sorry about the partial post)
Perhaps this will help
although they say that "Although this scenario resembles PCD in
mammalian systems, specific illustrations of a functionally conserved
program in plants exhibiting the hallmark characteristics of PCD are
limited and molecular details of this process in plants remain unclear

According to the sources that I use in teaching my Biology class
lysosomes are rare in plants.  When I get done screwing around in
usenet I will have to prepare my next lecture, which will be on cell
"parts" and methods used to study them.  Mebbe I will talk about
plants vs animal cells more this year...