prions. cheese. mad cow disease. milk.

Bob xyzbbruner at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 7 23:10:26 EST 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 15:08:45 +0000 (UTC), lhom at OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Louis
Hom) wrote:

>In article <0vnmvvolp1kk5p29b77qbmn0nu3qgri6qk at 4ax.com>,
>Bob  <bbruner at uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>>
>>So far as I know, the prions do not seem to be in milk. (They are
>>primarily in the brain and nervous system.)
>
>	They primarily *affect* the brain and nervous system, but at least
>some of the evidence suggests that the lymphatic system is involved in
>transit of the prions and establishing the infection.

Thanks for adding that. That info is probably relevant to the other Q
posted about how the prion gets in.

>Can't comment
>on the validity/seriousness of the implications of these results, but
>it makes me at least a little nervous/squeamish.

But again, isn't that tissue pretty much removed? One part of the news
story is that the relevant intestinal region is removed.

bob