prions. cheese. mad cow disease. milk.

Louis Hom lhom at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jan 8 10:18:17 EST 2004

In article <1tlpvvou1cj0f15rg8cff5er147qmlaa9m at 4ax.com>,
Bob  <bbruner at uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

>>on the validity/seriousness of the implications of these results, but
>>it makes me at least a little nervous/squeamish.
>
>But again, isn't that tissue pretty much removed? One part of the news
>story is that the relevant intestinal region is removed.

	The lymphatic system is pretty pervasive.  It's not just a few
nodes plus the spleen -- it's a whole vascular system that feeds antigens
from tissues all over the body to the nodes.  There are some diagrams on
google images.
	As far as the other person's comments on digestion of proteins,
I think the level of digestibility of proteins varies greatly from protein
to protein, and that prion protein appears to be fairly stable toward
cleavage.  Even casein can remain intact enough to serve as a transgut
transporter (if I recall my rBGH discussions correctly).  [I guess IgG
transport in nursing babies is a receptor-mediated process though.]
Lou Hom >K'93
lhom at ocf.berkeley.edu
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~lhom/