Resources for choosing a cell line

Tom Anderson ucgatan at socrates-a.ucl.ac.uk
Sat Jan 10 13:53:25 EST 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote:

> Tom Anderson wrote:
>
> > For example, i'd like to do some experiments with epithelial cells;
>
> Have you considered CaCo-2? This is a human colon cancer cell line,
> but grows in epitelia like assemblies and are used as a standard model
> for transport (e.g. blood/brain-barrier). And they are easy to
> maintain.

Funnily enough, i came across these for the first time on thursday - a lab
downstairs is using them. I'll certainly look into it. Don't you have to
grow them on nitrocellulose or something?

I suspect my best course will be to find out what cell lines have most
often been used in experiments related to mine (ie on the same proteins),
and use one of those; it may not be the best possible model, but at least
my results will be directly comparable to those of others. Anyway, that
would make it HEK 293 (or MDCK or U2OS), which isn't too bad.

Thanks,
tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL