[Cell-biology] Re: suggestions for new PAGE apparatus

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 5 03:09:42 EST 2005

Dr. James J. Campanella wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am in the market to buy a new PAGE electrophoresis set-up. I refuse to
> buy Biorad again. I have been burnt by their low quality equipment before.
> We have begun pouring a large number of gels,

I have been quite satisfied with the Hoefer system obtained from
Pharmacia (now GE, unless that has changed again while I blinked). In
particular their casting boxes for 5 or 10 gels are handy.

However, the combs are ill-designed and allow air access to the stacking
gels, so the wells do not polymerise completly. In the multicaster boxes
that is no problem, but if you cast gels separately its a PITA. I had
better combs made in our workshop to avoid the problem.