[Cell-biology] Re: vital stains

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum engelbert_buxbaum at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 13 01:39:31 EST 2006

Bahadir Onsoy wrote:

> Dear Radvanyi,
> I read your sugessions about the vital stain trypan blue. I don't know
> about the vital stains

Trypan blue is not actually a vital stain, it stains only dead cells and
is excluded from living cells by the plasma membrane. Thus it can be
used to differentiate between dead and living cells.

Vital stains are more often than not fluorescent compounds (high
detection sensitivity allows low concentration of dye and hence little
damage to the cell), they penetrate the living cell and enrich in some
particular compartment (ER, lysosome or the like) whose function can be
studied. When looking for fluorescent labels your first stop is
Molecular Probes (www.probes.com).

Very recommendable is
@book{Rom-89,
        AUTHOR= {B. Romeis},
        TITLE= {Mikroskopische {T}echnik},
        YEAR= {1989},
        PUBLISHER= {Urban und Schwarzenberg},
        ADDRESS= {München},
        EDITION= {17\textsuperscript{th}},
        LANGUAGE= {dt}
}
Obviously, you need to know German to read this. But it contains
everything you ever wanted to know about microscopy, and then some.