[Cell-biology] Re: Quantitative Triton Concentration Measurement

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by engelbert_buxbaum At hotmail.com)
Sat Dec 2 05:03:33 EST 2006

Aaron Meyer wrote:

> I am currently looking for a simple, inexpensive way to quantitatively
> measure the concentration of Triton X114 in PBS

Very simple is the increase of the fluorescence of Diphenylhexatrien
(DPH) as it enters the hydrophobic environment of a micell (it is almost
non-fluorescent in water). As long as you are above the cmc,
fluorescence is linear with detergent concentration (Chattopadhyay &
London, Anal. Biochem. 139 (1984) 408-412).

Alternatively, the extraction of ferric isothiocyanate in chloroform
(Nag et al., Anal. Biochem. 237 (1996) 224-231) should also work with
Triton, since it also contains oxyethylen groups. Garewal reported a
similar method with Co instead of Fe (Anal. Biochem. 54 (1973)
319-324).