[Cell-biology] old centrifuge without a speed indicator

Jayakumar, R via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by R.Jayakumar from roswellpark.org)
Thu Apr 19 13:17:09 EST 2007

That is what it exactly is -  a clinical centrifuge.. Not an analytical
one.  This one obviously is only used for spinning down cells.  Run a
few of your cell samples at different speeds and check your yield and
pellet consistency after 5 min.  The pellet should easily suspend upon
tapping.  If it is too firm, the spped is too much. Use that speed for
your cell lines.

-----Original Message-----
From: cellbiol-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu
[mailto:cellbiol-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Porpyrin
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:39 AM
To: cellbiol from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: [Cell-biology] old centrifuge without a speed indicator

Hi ALL,

Recently, I got an old centrifuge for my tissue culture. A problem is
there is no clear indicator for a speed. There is just numbers from 1 to
7.

The model is:
    DAMON IEC DIV ~ CLINICAL CENTRIFUGE

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAMON-IEC-DIV-CLINICAL-CENTRIFUGE-UNIV-SURPLUS_W0QQi
temZ130101083688QQihZ003QQcategoryZ26232QQcmdZViewItem

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/indywhorah/Centri
fuge4.jpg

Does any body know how can I know the speed from the numbers? I need to
set the speed at 1000-2000 rpm.

Thanks,

Young