[Cell-biology] Re: old centrifuge without a speed indicator

Allison via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by allison from nospam.com)
Thu Apr 19 17:27:08 EST 2007

Porpyrin wrote:
> Hi ALL,
>
> Recently, I got an old centrifuge for my tissue culture. A problem is
> there is no clear indicator for a speed. There is just numbers from 1
> to 7.
>
> The model is:
>     DAMON IEC DIV ~ CLINICAL CENTRIFUGE
>
>     http://cgi.ebay.com/DAMON-IEC-DIV-CLINICAL-CENTRIFUGE-UNIV-SURPLUS_W0QQitemZ130101083688QQihZ003QQcategoryZ26232QQcmdZViewItem
>
>     http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/indywhorah/Centrifuge4.jpg
>

> Does any body know how can I know the speed from the numbers? I need
> to set the speed at 1000-2000 rpm.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Young

Many many years ago I got these numbers from the technician in the lab
(for an IEC "mushroom" centrifuge which I assume is what you have):

position  rpm
   2       600
   3       950
   4       1400
   5       1900
   6       2300

It didn't go past position 6 though....

I now use a newer IEC centrifuge that has pos'ns 1-7.  FWIW I use pos'n
5 to spin down cells.
HTH
Allison