[Cell-biology] (no subject)

Federico Rodriguez Vasquez via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by frodrigu from udec.cl)
Wed Aug 1 21:45:29 EST 2007

Hello Jorgen!

I catched your supply for help on the net. I seem to have the same
contamination of whatever this may be. I have light brown debris coated on
patches in my culture plates. In the center of which each of them are fast
moving bacteria like organisms. They seem slow growing, i first noticed
the bottom of the plates had constant debris, looking with highest augment
I see rod shaped organisms and other round fast swimming guys. If you
handled to combat those organisms please tell how. I tryed with high
fungizone and saw a slight response. Meanwhile I`ll try with a third
generation cyclosporin reftriaxone plus high fungizone.

best wishes,

             Mr. Federico R.V.

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can tell me what's in my cell culture!

In a phase-contrast microscope I can see a very uniform round "bubble"
attatched to what seem like a cell remnant. This bubble varies some in
size, but about like a cell. I can't really see the countours of a
membrane. The interior is very turbid, and I can't understand that
this turbidity is trivial. It's like dark (bacteria-like) spots moving
around inside the bubble, and the whole thing is "jelly-like", but
attached to the plastic by the cell remnant.

On close inspection I can imagine some suspucious dots in the medium,
but this could well be the usual debris.

There's not really a rapid pH-change, and HeLa cells seem healthy.
OVCAR cells seems affected though.

I spotted these a while ago. Used Gentamicin and fungizone for a
while.
Now after several weeks off antibiotics/antifungi it appears again.
So it's a slow growing thing.

Any ideas anyone??

Best regards, Jorgen
jorgen.borrebaek at ati-as.no