[Cell-biology] Fixing non-adherent cells

John Simon Hall via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by jsh59 from mole.bio.cam.ac.uk)
Sun Aug 26 12:09:03 EST 2007

Does anyone know a way to fix semi-adherent cells for immunohistochemical
analysis.

Normally our mouse cells grow as a monolayer on gelatin-coated plastic and
stay firmly attached during fixation in citrate-acetone-formaldehyde prior
to alkaline phosphatase staining.

However in a new condition our cells form spheres and detach very easily
from the gelatinized substrate making fixation almost impossible.

Any suggestions as to how to minimize detachment (i.e. adding the fix
directly to the growth media) would be greatly appreciated.

John.