[Cell-biology] Re: fluorescent molecules

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by engelbert_buxbaum from hotmail.com)
Fri Jun 1 12:35:54 EST 2007

Am 29.05.2007, 03:36 Uhr, schrieb <rosariapiga from tiscali.it>:

> Hi, this is Rosi.
> I would like to know if someone knows about a company that makes
> fluorescent molecules on request, and starting from the chemical
> structure of the compound.  My antioxidant is not a protein, does not
> contain -NH2 and -SH groups.

That doesn't matter, other groups (alcohol, carboxylic acid, aldehyde...)
can also be used to link a fluorescent tracer to your molecule. In
addition it is sometimes possible to make a compound fluorescent by minor
modification of its structure (e.g. Etheno-ATP).

The Molecular Probes catalogue (http://probes.invitrogen.com/) discusses
this in considerable detail and is an invaluable resource. You should
probably discuss this with a chemist too.

If all fails, some companies (including IIRC Molecular Probes) offer
custom synthesis, but that is really expensive.