[Cell-biology] extracellular mitochondria

Zeev Silverman via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by szeev from bgu.ac.il)
Wed Aug 27 08:28:51 EST 2008

Using a pre-embedding approach, I'm labeling cells (2 cell line)
fixed with paraformaldehyde/gluteraldehyde with an antibody against a
mitochondrial protein, in the presence of 0.02% triton-X-100. The
cells are then osmicated, dehydrated and embedded (spinning the cells
at 1,200 rpm for 5 min. each time) in araldite. In the TEM, many of
the labeled mitochondria are outside the cells. The cells themselves
look good and the membranes are well preserved. Does anyone know why
I consistently get this result of ejected mitochondria?  Thanks,  ZS

Ze'ev Silverman, Ph.D.
Assoc. Prof. & Chairman
Department of Morphology
Faculty of Health Sciences