[Cell-biology] Re: permeabilize living cells

Nick Theodorakis via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by nick.theodorakis from gmail.com)
Fri May 23 08:50:53 EST 2008

On May 21, 5:27 pm, "assa sittner" <sitt... from lkb.ens.fr> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I am looking for a reagent that would allow me to weakly permeabilize, or
> just weaken cell membranes in a living cell culture, without killing them,
> in order to facilitate microinjection.
> does anyone know such a reagent (most likely a mild surfactant)?
> cheers,

I've seen a couple of references where people have used low
concentrations of mild detergents, but cells usually hate it when you
make then leaky.

If you are injecting regular cultured cells with a glass
microcapillary there should be no reason to make the membrane weaker;
the capillary will go right through.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis