[Cell-biology] RE: Mycoplasma Infection in Tissue Culture

Jayakumar, R via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by R.Jayakumar from roswellpark.org)
Thu Apr 23 08:19:36 EST 2009

It is my understanding that myecolplasma freely exist on our skin surface and they tend to infect cell cultures while handling them with dirty hands or gloves. I haven't heard of a case where the reverse is true, simply because we are NOT immunocompromised creatures.
Jay

-----Original Message-----
From: cellbiol-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu [mailto:cellbiol-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu] On Behalf Of Fisher, Susan
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:28 PM
To: 'cellbiol from iubio.bio.indiana.edu'
Subject: [Cell-biology] Mycoplasma Infection in Tissue Culture

Dear Dr. McKay,
I just read your 1998 message regarding a mycoplasma infection.  You asked if you could have infected your tissue culture.  I am now curious - could the mycoplasma infection in the tissue culture have infected you?
I look forward to your response.

Sue Fisher
Radiation & Biosafety Officer
California State University, Fullerton
800 N. State College Blvd., Fullerton, CA  92831
PH: 714-278-2507

It's spring cleaning time again and the safety office can lend a helping hand.  Visit http://ehis.fullerton.edu/Publications/EHISWaste.pdf to learn how to properly dispose of hazardous and non-hazardous materials in your workplace.

Attention: Cal State Fullerton's area code is changing soon! Beginning Saturday, May 30, 2009, all Fullerton and Irvine campus phone and fax numbers will begin with 657-278 followed by the current extension number.