[Cell-biology] Request For Help

Jayakumar, R via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by R.Jayakumar from roswellpark.org)
Mon Sep 14 16:26:25 EST 2009

The paper from bell Labs IS very interesting.  But from your answer (from the organelles you are interested in), it is clear that you intend to work on eukaryotic cells, but it is still not clear what kind of cells you have in mind, since each eukaryotic cell is a highly specialized "piece of equipment", nor is it clear to what extend you want to take your experiments forward and the expected observation you intend to make.  Do you have a hypothesis which you intend to test??  That would help.
    As you might know, the immune system is replete with similar memory responses, especially related to plasma cells and long term immunity against diseases.  I would suggest researching papers on plasma cell longevity, long term immunity versus short lived immunity and memory T-cells in literature.  It has been an enigma how plasma cells in the bone marrow recognize and maintain immunity by producing antibodies against certain pathogenic antigens like that of small pox virus, when they don't do the same for other antigens like the cold virus.  A clue might be that the small pox virus is dangerous while the cold virus is not.  You should proceed in that direction with your experiments..  Two variables in your experiments should be TIME (intervals between exposures) and INTENSITY (concentration and number) of the stimulus.  An experiment to study such memory responses in cells should consist of repeated exposure of the cell you have in mind to a stressful stimulus(protein, heat, nutrient deprivation or some other factor towards which the particular cell type or types you are interested in are specialized to respond to), varying the time periods of exposure and the dosage of the stimulant. Studying chromosomal translocations.
   Please correct me, if I am barking up the wrong tree :-)).  Again a hypothetical model which you aim to test, with aims would be useful for people to help you with experiments.
 Bye
Best ofluck
Jay

dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
Jayakumar R. Nair, Ph.D.,
HRI Scientist,
Dept. of Immunology,
Roswell Park Cancer Institute,