[Cell-biology] Calcium Crimson ?

Javier Casas via cellbiol%40net.bio.net (by jcasas from scripps.edu)
Tue Feb 1 19:51:38 EST 2011

Hello,
Any luck with your Calcium Crimson work? because I´m having the same problems in aT cell  hybridoma.
Thanks

Hi all.

I'm working with Calcium Crimson dye (Molecular Probe)
to monitor changes in calcium concentration in COS cells.
When I tried to observe the Calcium Crimson-loaded
cells with Confocal Laser Scanning Microscope (Bio-Rad),
I noticed that not all the cells are readily labeled with
Calcium Crimson, which is quite different from my
previous experiments with other calcium indicators
like Fluo-3 etc. Even worse, the few Calcium Crimson
labeled cells appeared to be non-viable by microscopic
observation.
Is Calcium Crimson is somewhat more toxic than
other fluorescent calcium indicators ?
Also I'd like to know the appropriate labeling period
and working concentration of Calcium Crimson.

Any of your kind help would be greatly appreciated,

Javier Casas, Ph.D.
Department of Immunology and Microbial Science
The Scripps Research Institute
10550 North Torrey Pines Rd.
La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
(858) 784-8184 (lab)